Category Archives: religion

Swimsuits For The Pure: “Wholesome Wear”

Those one-pieces showing too much skin? Want to go swimming but want to stay modest?

Now there’s Wholesome Wear — dresslike “swimsuits” for those who (I suppose) do not like to show skin at the beach for religious or other reasons. Their tagline is “Swimwear that highlights the face, not the body.”

The unique swimwear feature two pieces — a form-fitting inner layer and a dress-like outer layer — both ending at about the knee. On one item, there is the option to buy an even more modest suit that terminates at mid-arm and mid-knee.

Wholesome Wear seem to be made for teenage girls as well as women. I’m curious as to what modest swimwear their brothers and fathers and husbands wear — if they too have to wear two layers of longish clothing while at the beach or swimming in the water.

Advertisements

Mr. T’s Word To Atheists

He pities the fool who doesn’t read the Bible!

Man Sues Bible’s Publishers For Libel

A Michigan man is suing Bible publishers Zondervan and Thomas Nelson for libel against homosexuals.

Bradley LaShawn Fowler claims that the versions of the Bible the aforementioned publishers put out state that homosexuality is sinful — and that has led Fowler to suffer “discrimination, emotional pain and mental instability.”

Fowler also claims the bible passages in question leads him “…or anyone who is a homosexual to endure verbal abuse, discrimination, episodes of hate, and physical violence … including murder,”

He is seeking $60 million from Zondervan and $10 million from Thomas Nelson.

What do you think of this lawsuit? If holy texts contain teachings that might lead to other people being discriminated against, is that libel of some kind? And what do you think the outcome of the lawsuit might be?

Car Dealership Radio Ads Targets Atheists

A recent radio ad for a Ford Dealership in Southern California reads:

“…did you know that 86% of Americans say they believe in God? Now, since we all know that 86 out of every 100 of us are Christians who believe in God, we at Kieffe & Sons Ford wonder why we don’t just tell the other 14% to sit down and shut up.”

The ad goes on to say that though it might have offended that other 14% of Americans, tough noogies because “it’s called free speech.” You remember free speech, don’t you? It’s that thing where you tell people who disagree with you to “sit down and shut up.”

(via BoingBoing)

New Service Sends You Email After The Rapture

Read about this on the Christian Newswire via The Raw Feed. What’s even more news to me than this particular post-Rapture messaging service is this line from the Christian Newswire piece:

“Unlike other post-Rapture mailing services, the You’ve Been Left Behind website allows the customer to edit all documents and addresses at any time.”

Unlike OTHER post-Rapture mailing services? There’s more than one? is this a whole cottage industry I somehow missed?

The Rapture, according to the Bible, is when Jesus Christ comes back and takes all true believers to heaven. All the true believers will up and disappear, hence creating a need for an automatic email delivery service to the heathens.

No “Sex In The City” For Jerusalem

Municipal officials in Jerusalem do not want movie posters for “Sex In The City” displayed, according to the Jerusalem Post.

At first they asked to simply remove the word “sex” from the title, but that request was turned down.

A rep for “Sex In The City’s” Israeli distributor, Forum Films, said:

We told them, the way you don’t remove the word “Coca” from “Coca-Cola” and just leave “Cola,” we can’t do it in this case…”

Calling Scientology A Cult Now Illegal In England

A teenager participating in a peaceful protest outside a church of Scientology in England faces prosecution now for carrying a sign that had the word “Cult” on it.

The Guardian reports:

“The incident happened during a protest against the Church of Scientology on May 10. Demonstrators from the anti-Scientology group, Anonymous, who were outside the church’s £23m headquarters near St Paul’s cathedral, were banned by police from describing Scientology as a cult by police because it was “abusive and insulting”.”

The same article says that London police came under fire two years ago when it emerged that more than 20 officers received gifts from the Church of Scientology.

As for the prosecuted teenager, he is currently looking for legal advice.